κε′

The weather has improved.

There was a small funeral service for Patroclus this morning. They buried him down by the beach. It was mostly generals and Myrmidon soldiers in attendance. I didn’t go myself.

Later in the day, Agamemnon made quite a spectacle in the center of our encampment.

Agamemnon brought out the bones. –The bones of his grandfather Pelops, that is.

Actually, the Commander-in-Chief brought them out with his brother Menelaus, King of Sparta and ex-husband of Helen.

Although we are fighting this damned war because Menelaus’ wife left him, we don’t see very much of him. –Truth be told, he isn’t really the kind of guy that inspires men to action. In fact, it’s a common belief that we are actually fighting this war on Agamemnon’s behalf, trying to save face for his brother.

I haven’t personally talked to Menelaus face-to-face, but from what I have seen, the guy is somewhat of a sap. –Menelaus’ demeanor kind of reminds me of a dog that gets hit too much.

Anyway, for some reason, both these mighty brothers think that keeping their dead grandfather’s bones with them is somehow beneficial. Seeing as things have been going pretty poorly as of late, I guess they decided to break them out.

Just after lunch, a bunch of Agamemnon’s aides cleared off a large circle in the middle of our camp.

Agamemnon and Menelaus appeared looking very solemn, carrying a large wooden box. They were accompanied by Agamemnon’s personal oracle, Calchas.

With some instructions from Calchas, Agamemnon and Menelaus started wailing and dumped their grandfather’s bones in the dirt. Calchas then started dancing and chanting wildly, kicking the bones all about.

I have to wonder what makes a king decide to let some delusional maniac kick his grandfather’s bones. I mean, on a bad day, a guy could get killed just for sneezing on Agamemnon.

Anyway, after Calchas deemed the bones to be sufficiently scattered, he frantically rushed Agamemnon and Menelaus out of the circle and began to study their placement very carefully. Calchas studied those bones for the rest of the day.

As far as I know, he is still studying them now.

In other news, Elpenor almost got into a fight with Euryalus. -Apparently, he caught Euryalus in one of his impersonations of Epeius.

Late this evening, I heard a commotion outside my tent and rushed out to see Elpenor and Euryalus squared off, surrounded by a group of shouting soldiers.

I had to pull rank and order them to break it up.

Although I usually let such minor conflicts sort themselves out, I knew that Elpenor was about to be creamed. I didn’t just feel sorry for him. I need him for his work on the Horse.

At any rate, I ordered Elpenor not to get involved in any more fights.

He didn't seem very grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home