κϛ′

A quiet day.

Elpenor took me over to the build site this morning. The Horse is coming along well. The base has been finished, and they were working on attaching the wheels.

This thing is going to be huge.

The base itself is probably ten meters wide and twenty meters long. Elpenor told me that it is going to be just as tall. He thinks that we will be able to get about one-hundred men in there, but says it will be pretty tight.

Epieus suggested that we could get a lot more men in there if we were to build something fatter than a horse. He thought that an elephant would be reasonable.

I just nodded.

I know that Epieus is dying to ask why it has to be a horse, but he knows that it isn’t his place. -He’s a smart guy.

After they took me on a tour of the site, Elpenor and Epieus treated me to lunch.

It was fantastic. Epieus is an incredible cook. He prepared fried fish, covered in some kind of olive and lentil sauce. With that we had bread, butter and wine. Man, I can still taste it.

I kind of got a kick out of seeing Elpenor and Epieus fixing up lunch together. They were both very fussy, and kept bickering at each other like an old married couple.

There is a rumor running about that these guys are an item, and to watch them, I wouldn’t doubt it. Sometimes it happens to some guys at war.

Hell, there is even a rumor about Achilles and Patroclus. -Mother of Zeus, that is going to be bad if Achilles ever shows up again.

That’s not to say that everyone is cool with that kind of thing. I mean no one would say a word to Achilles about it, but in the case of Elpenor and Epieus, it would be wise for them to keep it under wraps.

It's too bad they aren't Spartans. Those guys are so causal, no one would know the difference.

Anyway, lunch was fantastic.

To show my gratitude, I let Elpenor deliver his progress report directly to Odysseus. He was ecstatic.

I think that he forgave me for pulling him out of the fight yesterday.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But what colour is it going to be? Are they going for vibrant primary energies, or for pastels? Spiritual whites or earth tones?

11:30 PM  
Blogger Das said...

The Trojans are not going to buy the horse gift for a second. These are hardened battle-wary people and they are not going to import a giant bellied contraption into their city walls. It has too much of a storybook quality to the strategy; tell Odysseus to rethink.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still think a badger would be best.

Also, I thought Greece was a pretty gay-friendly place. My brother and his partner went there for the Dionysia festival ... they had a FABulous time.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And accessorize, baby, accessorize. Saddle, reins, halter, surcingle and martingale can all set off your offering to striking effect, and of course never forgetting the ever-popular garlands.

There is also the question of nymphs. Nothing, but nothing, sells the product like nymphs. A horse from the sea would probably look best with nereids, but frankly they are not party girls, and it may be best to stick with maenads. Not really appropriate but no-one has ever complained.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This horse thing is all going to end in tears.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home