μα′

Odysseus dropped by today.

He sheepishly asked me how I had been doing, and how my butt was feeling.

I assured him that my ass was fine and thanked him for the grapes.

The General then told me that Achilles is going to confront Hector. -A large entourage of commanders intends to walk up to the gates of Troy tomorrow morning where Achilles will announce his challenge.

Odysseus asked if I wanted to accompany them.

Knowing this was Odysseus’ way of apologizing, I told him that it sounded like fun, but I needed to wait to see how my ass was feeling.

Odysseus smiled meekly and nodded.

The General then related a story about how Hermes had gotten out of his pen during the battle the other night. -Odysseus thought Hermes was lost for good, but the next morning, some Pheraen soldiers discovered a helmed goat munching on their provisions.

Anyway, I guess the soldiers concluded this winged-helmet-wearing goat was some sort of portent, and dutifully brought Hermes to their young general, Eumelus. -Like his men, Eumelus was impressed by the strange helmed goat, and he immediately delivered Hermes to Agamemnon.

However, Agamemnon was familiar with Odysseus’ prize, and when he saw the goat, he smiled and asked where Eumelus had met The Mighty Hermes.

Apparently, Eumelus is more a general of pedigree than one of merit.

Hearing Agamemnon refer to the goat as The Mighty Hermes, he shouted: “In the form of a goat!? Forgive me, Son of Zeus! How could I have been so blind?!” And with that, Eumelus dropped to his knees and bowed deeply to the goat.

This surprised Agamemnon, but pleased him greatly.

Agamemnon accompanied Eumelus to Odysseus' tent when he returned Hermes. -To Odysseus’ delight, the Commander-in-Chief insisted Eumelus not only stay for lunch, but that he fully recount his own idiocy for their entertainment.

-It made me laugh.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

this makes me smile.
i'm coming back more and more frequently.
thanks alot -- what a project!

gretel

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is simply fantastic. Keep up the good work!

and hey at least you got to laugh a lot of people didnt ;)

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home