π′

Her name is Aegle.

I just spent the entire evening walking along the beach with her. -Mother of Zeus, she has the most incredible eyes.

However, I didn’t find her at Agamemnon’s meeting.

In fact, we first met just outside my tent.

Apparently, Aegle and some of her fellow maids had spent the afternoon picking wildflowers for on the east side of our encampment. -They just happened to be returning through our Ithacan camp as I walked up.

Generally, I am pretty shy when it comes to these things. However, the disappointment of not seeing Aegle at Agamemnon’s conference, combined with the surprise of finding her on my doorstep, lead to me blurt out ‘hello’ before I had even fully realized she was in front of me.

My greeting sent off her companions like a flock of gulls, leaving the two of us just staring at one another.

After a few awkward moments, I asked her if she would like some dinner. She smiled and consented.

Putting on a good show, I called up some aides and ordered a fine meal. As we waited to eat, we sat outside my tent, exchanged pleasantries, joked about Agamemnon’s mannerisms, and introduced ourselves.

That’s when I found out her name was Aegle.

I also learned she is from Sparta (which gives her a nice accent), and that she hasn’t been on the beachhead very long. In fact, Aegle arrived here just a few months ago on one of Menelaus’ supply ships.

To my surprise, Aegle knew a lot more about me than I did about her.

Aegle knew I was first-in-command under Odysseus, and that I was currently in charge of the Ithacans. To my surprise, she had even heard about my Cretan-tossing feat last week.

To be honest, I was somewhat uncomfortable with how much Aegle knew about me. -Maybe I am just not so accustomed to having my ego stroked.

Anyway, after a little coaxing, Aegle admitted to giving me special attention at Agamemnon’s dinner party. After that, the rest of the evening was full of flirting.

Dinner was good. However, it would have been perfect if we had some wine.

After eating, I considered asking her into my tent. -I think she might have. However, I decided to be more of a gentleman about things, and instead asked if she would like to take a walk on the beach. She happily agreed.

It’s been a long time since I’ve even considered about being with a woman. It’s not that getting laid is particularly difficult here on the beachhead. That just isn’t my thing. -I tried that once. What a waste of pay.

Anyway, I didn’t want to give Aegle the wrong impression.

Seeing as she is a maid, I thought I would go out of my way to treat her like a lady of stature. -I think she really appreciated it.

The walk was very nice. The night air was perfect, and Aegle made for good conversation. Actually, I was somewhat impressed with her keen interest in our siege. -I spent most of the night retelling the many of the dramas that have taken place over the last several years.

To be perfectly honest, it kind of bummed me out that Aegle showed particular interest in stories about Achilles. Mother of Zeus, that guy could get ass from the grave. -I hate to say it, but I don’t miss him very much.

As for her, Aegle told me her uncle is an old friend of Menelaus, and is currently a supplier of the Spartan army. It seems she really wanted to come here, and I guess she had to plead with this uncle for a couple of years before he agreed to send her. -Aegle says she found life in Sparta to be too stale.

Anyway, it seems her relationship to Menelaus has provided Aegle some special privlidges. She isn’t an indentured servant. She is just a freelance maid, I guess. However, as Menelaus doesn’t like lady servants, he sent Aegle over to Agamemnon’s camp.

Basically, Aegle helps keep Agamemnon’s tent clean, but has little responsibility beyond that. Apparently, Agamemnon is under the misconception that Aegle is somehow related to him, and she hasn’t made the effort to set him straight. -She says things are easier that way.

Aegle seems to be a free spirit. -I like that.

After we returned from the beach, I decided to walk Aegle home.

Oddly, as we passed through the Minyan encampment, I happened to notice Achaemenides sitting amongst a group of Minyan soldiers. He looked surprised to see me. -I was surprised to see him.

In fact, I then realized I hadn’t seen Achaemenides since Dolon’s interrogation.

For some reason I had thought about Achaemenides a few days ago, but I guess I had convinced myself he had left with Odysseus. It appears that wasn’t the case. -I wonder what he’s been up to.

Acting somewhat general-like, I ordered Achaemenides to stop by my tent tomorrow morning. He nodded, looking a bit pale. -Aegle seemed impressed.

Anyhow, Aegle and I stopped a bit short before reaching Agamemnon’s encampment. Although we didn’t discuss it, both of us knew it might not be appropriate for me to walk her up to the Commander-in-Chief’s doorstep.

Before, I was able to say goodbye, Aegle kissed me on the cheek, wished me luck tomorrow, and ran off.

That was fantastic.

However, that is one thing I neglected to mention: At Agamemnon’s meeting this morning, the commanders decided to raid Troy’s northern border tomorrow night.

The party is to be lead by the Ajax that’s still with us, -Ajax of the Locrian army. This particular General Ajax is somewhat short, and before the Salamisian Ajax had died, many people referred to him as ‘the little Ajax’. -I’ve heard this really pissed him off.

To his benefit, the death of ‘Ajax the Great’ relieved the Locrian Ajax of this diminutive qualifier. Even so, the little guy still seems pretty pissed about something.

Unfortunately, I volunteered to go with him.

I don’t know what I was thinking. Perhaps I was trying to impress the other commanders. Maybe I was just depressed because Aegle wasn’t there.

At any rate, I’ve committed myself to raising trouble with the Trojans tomorrow night. -I hate to think now that I could have probably gone on a date instead.

At least Aegle seemed impressed with my bravado.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home