πϛ′

We are going to do it.

We are going to present Troy with a wooden horse, full of Achaean soldiers.

And yet, I don’t care.

Odysseus, Agamemnon and Neoptolemus came around just after lunch. They asked me whether the horse was ready to go. -I said that it was.

Nodding thoughtfully, Agamemnon said: “Good, good, Captain Eurylochus. We will have a meeting in my tent tomorrow morning. We shall make the final arrangements then.”

Odysseus sternly added, “See to it those two horse fellows are there.”

Agamemnon nodded thoughtfully once again. Neoptolemus just stared at me without expression.

Looking satisfied, the three sauntered off. Odysseus and Agamemnon chuckled about something as they walked away.

Immediately after the generals had left, I ran to the build site. There I found Elpenor and Epieus engaged in a theatrical rehearsal of some sort.

Apparently, Epieus was the director.

Elpenor was in the midst of a dramatic monologue. The horse build crew flanked him, singing the last word of each statement he made.

As I felt pressed for time, I rudely interrupted the performance, asking Elpenor directly: “Lieutenant Elpenor, is the horse ready to go?”

Elpenor seemed to snap out of a state: “Ready to go? The horse? Oh yes. Yes it is.”

A few members of the build crew sang: “Yes it is…

I hastily replied: “Elpenor, Epieus, be at my tent at sunrise tomorrow. -See that the horse is readied by then.”

Elpenor and Elpenor look dumbfounded at first. However, as a look of comprehension grew upon their faces, I turned and left.

Next I went to out Achaean camp. First, I found Misenus. I told him of the meeting, and asked that at least thirty of our own men were readied by tomorrow.

I then stopped by Macar’s tent and told him to see to it that Misenus, Elpenor and Epieus had everything they required. Macar smiled and gave me a salute.

Finally, I went to my tent, and washed quickly.

Knowing the plan could be enacted as early as tomorrow afternoon, I knew I had to see Aegle.

Putting on my best clothes, I set out to Agamemnon’s camp with a new resolve.

Finding some of the Commander-in-Chief’s maids gathered outside, I asked them where Aegle might be. Looking confused, they told me they hadn’t seen her.

However, my instincts told me they knew otherwise.

Confessing to them that the matter was urgent, one of the maids finally replied that Aegle had mentioned she might take a walk along the beach.

Although I wasn’t completely convinced, I acquiesced, only requesting they relate my inquiry to her. -They pledged emphatically that they would.

I casually walked out of sight of the maids before I racing down to the beach. -She wasn’t there.

Finally, feeling a bit pathetic, I decided to report to Odysseus.

As I approached the General’s tent, I could here some laughing coming from within. The guard announced my presence, and Odysseus called me in.

That’s when I heard a familiar voice shout: “No!”

Although I hadn’t fully digested the situation, I felt the blood rush from my face as I stepped inside.

I found a smiling Odysseus rising to greet me, wearing nothing but a loincloth.

Aegle was in his bed.

My mind went blank.

Muffled by a buzzing noise that immediately filled my ears, I could vaguely hear the General inquiring about the horse. He seemed to be in good spirits, and I think he made a joke about something.

For moments, I could only nod.

Finally, as a look of concern came over Odysseus’ face, the buzzing washed out of my ears and I could hear everything again, this time much clearer than before.

I then smartly reported to Odysseus that the horse was readied, and that I would be at his tent with Elpenor and Epieus, shortly after sunrise.

Odysseus smiled and replied: “Great, Eurylochus. You’ve done a terrific job. -I’ll see you in the morning then.”

With that, he laughed and charged towards his bed.

I turned and walked out.

I didn’t even look at Aegle past the first moment I entered.

In fact, now it seems like a dream to me. -As if I might not have actually seen her at all.

But, I know that's not true.

I can’t say that I am angry at Odysseus. -It’s obvious he hasn’t a clue.

Even if he did, I am still not sure I could be angry with him.

I am not sure I’m capable of feeling anything right now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woof! I don't want to be the next guy he meets in combat.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My money is on the Trojans setting fire to the horse before they let it into the gates.

I only hope Eurylochus won't be inside.

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That hurts.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Saradevil said...

Wooden Horse pulled up to a gate to be let inside. That never works anymore...Oh, wait.

http://hubertheller.googlepages.com/trojan-horse-today

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home